Help dreams come true!
Every year, SCORE volunteers help thousands of entrepreneurs start and grow small businesses. Volunteering at SCORE is a way for you to give back, connect with fellow business people, and share your knowledge with others.
Join a nation-wide community of 11,000 volunteers, all committed to helping small business owners succeed. Whether you own a small business, work at a Fortune 500 company, are retired or a student, there is an opportunity for you as a SCORE volunteer
As a SCORE volunteer you can:
- Share your knowledge through mentoring
- Lead workshops and seminars
- Provide online or telephone mentoring directly from your home or office
- Serve in a leadership capacity with SCORE
- Serve in another capacity at SCORE (Marketing, IT, administration, finance, fundraising, HR, etc.)
- Have flexibility with your volunteering time
Here in Silicon Valley we have the great good fortune to mentor cutting edge businesses as well as more traditional service and consumer enterprises. Be part of what is new and exciting in our quickly changing world. The Silicon Valley chapter has approximately 50 members from a wide range of business backgrounds who share responsibility for managing the chapter as a business.
What can you expect from SCORE?
- Satisfaction derived from giving back to the community using skills derived from personal experience
- Helping small businesses that otherwise cannot afford expert level business consulting
- Continuing education in the latest business methods from business experts and successful business owners
- Monthly members meetings with guest speakers
- Constant learning from co-consultants and involvement with fellow SCORE members, complimentary workshops and SCORE clients
- Social events providing opportunities for friendship with fellow SCORE members
What does SCORE expect from you?
All volunteers are required to sign a non-conflict of interest ethics code annually.
All volunteers are required to take training appropriate for the tasks they assume.
Still working full time?
- Contribute as little as 8 hours per month
- Be a co-consultant with more experienced members
- Teach a class in your area of expertise
- Contribute to chapter management, promotion, fund raising and/or administation
- Training provided on-line to do whenever it works for you
Have more time to volunteer?
As a consulting member, volunteers agree to contribute at least 16 hours per month, spread among a variety of activities.
The office is managed by volunteers from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Consulting appointments are scheduled between 9:30 AM and 1:30 PM at the office in San Jose and throughout Santa Clara County most business days. Volunteers may schedule follow up mentoring sessions with clients at mutually agreeable times and locations.
The training program includes hands on experience in consulting sessions, classes as needed/desired, and office management. The program typically takes 90 days from begining to end.
Current Skills in Demand
The Silicon Valley SCORE Chapter welcomes business people with general experience. We have a particular need for people with the following expertise:
- Restaurant management
- Banking / Financing / Accounting
- Insurance / Risk Management
- Retail sales
- Medical / Pharma
- Internet Development/Businesses with following skills/knowledge:
- Basic web development (Dreamweaver or Microsoft Expression, basic HTML, basic CSS)
- PHP (intermediate skill level)
- MySQL (Intermediate skill level)
- Simple graphics creation (can use Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop and/or Corel Draw or equivalent)
In addition, we are looking for volunteers interested in doing:
- Public relations
- Office administration
- Event organization